Be careful; too much competitiveness has its dangers

Maddie Root, Editor-in-Chief

Competitiveness is a value we all possess. It helps us to push ourselves over difficult challenges and to achieve our most sought-after goals. It drives us to become the best version of ourselves that we can be.

Being competitive shows that we care about our passions. It shows that we have grit and want to fulfill our purpose in the world.

The unique thing is we are all able to choose where we want to utilize our competitive spirit. It could be in the classroom, the athletic field, the stage, or at work.

However, competitiveness has its dangers.

If we are not careful, competitiveness can consume us. It may cause us to question our worth.

We may begin to wonder, Why am I not as good of a baseball player as him? Or, Why did she do so much better on that test than I did?

Comparing ourselves to others can lead us down a dangerous path. It creates low self-esteem and can spiral into poor mental health.

I have always struggled with comparing myself to others in high school. There have been days when I have felt inferior simply because I got a lower grade on an assignment than a friend or had a poorer game on the soccer field compared to my teammates.

I consider myself a competitive person. Over the years, I have had to teach myself a few strategies when I start to compare myself to my classmates, friends, or teammates.

I’ve learned that before we tear ourselves apart, we need to take a step back. One of the only things we control in life is how hard we try. It’s simple: if we try our best, that is all we can do.

If we begin to compare ourselves to others, we need to ask ourselves “Did I try my best?” If the answer is “Yes,” then we cannot feel bad about ourselves. If the answer is “No,” then it provides us an opportunity to perform better next time.

When we start to get so competitive that we begin to compare ourselves to others, we lose all the benefits that come with competitiveness. We may even begin to perform worse because we are too focused on the people around us.

Imagine how much time we have spent thinking about the people we compete with in our daily lives: classmates, friends, co-workers, teammates; the list goes on. However, instead of focusing on our competitors, we can channel that energy into focusing on ourselves. We can focus on the things we directly control: our own efforts.

Additionally, competitiveness can even negatively affect our friends and other people around us. If we are constantly too competitive about things in our lives, then our close friends might feel disregarded and unimportant.

As humans, it is natural for us to want to be the best at what we do. The truth is, somewhere in the world there will always be someone better at something than us.

No matter how hard we try, there will always be a better student, athlete, or employee than us. It’s just how life works. When we look at it this way, comparing ourselves to others almost seems pointless.

Looking forward, we need to continue being competitive and keep striving for greatness. Competition can bring out the best in us.

All we can do is just keep working as hard as we can in whatever we choose to do.

We need to recognize when we become too competitive, and take a step back. It will not be easy. However, in order to stop ourselves from heading down a destructive path, it is necessary.