Game of the Week: Varsity field hockey loses to Maryvale for first time in four years

Senior center midfielder Charlotte Haggerty tries to stop the ball in mid air during the game against Maryvale on Monday, Oct. 17. The varsity field hockey team was defeated by Maryvale in the game that determined who held first place for the IAAM B Conference.

Caroline Cooney

Caroline Cooney

On Oct. 17, the women’s varsity field hockey team was defeated by Maryvale 0-1 in the game that determined who held the top seed for the IAAM B Conference.

For the last two consecutive years, the teams played against each other in the championships with JC coming out on top both times. “We were expecting them to put up a fight because we played them before, beaten them a bunch of times, and they were upset about it,” junior right wing Ashlee Kothenbeutel said.

Even though the scoring was minimal, possession of the ball constantly switched and ample shots were taken.

Senior left forward Maddie Reeves chases after a Maryvale player in an attempt to get the ball back. The varsity field hockey team lost to Maryvale 0-1 in the rematch of last year's championship on Monday, Oct. 17.

Caroline Cooney
Senior left forward Maddie Reeves chases after a Maryvale player in an attempt to get the ball back. The varsity field hockey team lost to Maryvale 0-1 in the rematch of last year’s championship on Monday, Oct. 17.

According to senior goalie Emma Gromacki, 13 shots were taken by Maryvale throughout the game. “I played pretty aggressively, [but] I probably could have played a bit more aggressively. On defense, we had a really good, strong game,” Gromacki said.  

At the end of the first half, the Patriots were down 0-1 but didn’t give up. “We kind of just got inside our heads and said, ‘we can do this,’ and tried to get positive,” senior left forward Maddie Reeves said. “I think the second half we came out stronger than we did in the first half, but it just wasn’t enough.”

A few minutes into the second half, the women’s soccer teams showed their support for the girls by cheering on the team after their soccer practice ended. “We knew it would be a hard game because they were both undefeated, and we were hoping to win,” varsity soccer player junior Molly Lynch said.

JC held possession of the ball for the last minute of the game but could not score any goals. According to Reeves, the team had a lot of opportunities, but they need to work on their finishing.   

“It was our first conference loss in a long time, but I think we played as hard as we could. There were a couple of opportunities where we could have done better, [but] we did everything that we could,” Reeves said.  

The varsity field hockey team defeated Indian Creek 2-1 in their senior game on Oct. 25. “I started field hockey my freshman year, and the fact that it’s over is so sad but so amazing because it has been the highlight of my JC experience,” Gromacki said.

Caroline Cooney is the Editor in Chief and Paige Alban in an In-Focus Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.