Strategies help to reduce the end-of-the-year stress students face

Patriots share their own methods of stress reducers that work for them

Meghan Kerr, Staff Writer

As the end of the school year approaches and as teachers attempt to provide students with final projects and last minute assignments, the stress of students begins to rise.

A survey relating to the topic of end-of-year projects and stress was sent out to the JC student body in order to get the perspectives of a wide array of students.
The majority of students seemed to feel that a buildup of projects at the end of the school year is quite common, and they do not affect the students in a positive way.
In regard to whether or not they felt that a buildup of projects is common in classes at the end of the year, 139 students said they did, and 10 said they did not.
Next, students were asked whether or not they felt an elevated amount of stress due to this project build up, the majority said yes yet again, with the results of 137 to 9.
Finally, students were asked if they felt that the stress caused by schoolwork at the end of the year negatively impacted their mental health. Not surprisingly, 125 students said yes, and 20 said no.
It is quite evident that the end of the school year negatively impacts students when it comes to things like final projects and final tests, but how do students deal with this stress?
In the survey previously mentioned, students were also asked to provide some of their methods for relaxing and de-stressing at the seemingly most anxiety-inducing time of the school year.
There were an array of different responses provided by students, ranging from meditation to simply hanging out with friends.
However, some of the most popular de-stressing methods include things such as working out, listening to music, making a schedule to get work completed without procrastination, and spreading out the work to make the build-up less overwhelming.
Senior Julianna Smith uses exercise in order to prevent an overwhelming amount of assignments. She said, “I have started going to the gym and working out which definitely helps. I also just motivate myself by thinking about summer. As I look forward to being out of school, it encourages me to just power through the rest of the year.”
Other students revealed that they deal with the stress in ways other than working out. Freshman Zaida Annan said that she tends to rely on music and breaks in order to decrease the weight of assignments, “I minimize stress by listening to music and taking breaks when I need to while I’m doing my work. These things really help me bring my stress down.”
Finally, some students tend not to rely on specific activities such as music or sports, but rather they rely on scheduling said work and spreading the workload out.
Freshman Sydney Barker said, “I try to spread my homework out throughout the day or do it all at different times with breaks in between so I don’t feel too overwhelmed.”
End-of-the-year stress is obviously quite abundant in the John Carroll school as can be seen from the survey results present.
However, by using the methods provided by students above (working out, making schedules, spreading out the workload), it is possible to avoid a paralyzing amount of stress and push through the final months of the school year.