Combat the winter blues with several easy tips

Belle Wilson, Editor-in-Chief

There’s no doubt that winter and summer weather are different.

The average high-temperature in February in Baltimore, Maryland, is 42.4°F, while the average low-temperature is 29.7°F, according to the Maryland State Weather archives.
That’s a big jump from a Maryland summer weather that averages daily high temperatures around 84°F, rarely falling below 76°F, also according to Maryland State Weather archives.
However, during winter months, it’s not just the weather that changes. There can be noticeable differences in a person’s mood. People call it the “winter blues,” but clinically, it’s called S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder).
Although S.A.D. can affect anyone during any season, it’s most prevalent during winter months when there’s a decrease in socialization, activity, and sunlight, according to the Mayo Clinic.
Among the student body, there is constant talk about how the winter blues can affect a student’s work ethic and mental health. The first idea that comes to mind when curing the winter blues is to go to warmth, which for most students isn’t practical.
Other than traveling to warmer parts of the county, there are ways to combat these winter feelings from your home with the advice of researchers and resources like Everyday Health.
One way to boost energy during winter months is to get active. This doesn’t have to mean doing a hard workout or hitting the gym. It can mean anything that gets you up and moving.
During winter, there are other options to get active. Going skiing or snowboarding can be more “fun” ways of exercising. There are also indoor options of different forms of exercise like indoor swimming, basketball, and rock climbing.
This will not only regulate your sleep schedule during altering sunrise and sunset times, but it will increase levels of dopamine as well.
Another way to beat winter blues is to expose yourself to as much Vitamin D as much as possible. This means keeping blinds up so that the sun can shine through your room. Even walking outside for as little as 20 minutes can increase your mood.
To get energy to be active, eating well is a must. Take advantage of all the warm foods winter provides. There’s something about having a nice fresh bowl of soup in the winter season that can’t compare to any summer meal.
Isolation is challenging.
Amidst chilly weather and mandates from the pandemic, it’s easy to feel alone; that loneliness can cultivate those cold weather blues. Even in the hectic world of illness that corrupts society, make time for people.