Hispanic Heritage Month needs some recognition in local schools

Juli Aragon, Staff Writer

Hispanic Heritage Month isn’t widely known in American schools or given much recognition. It takes place annually between September 15 and October 15.

Many Hispanics have worked hard to get where they are. Hispanic Heritage Month takes time to focuses on how Latinos have made names for themselves and have had impacts on our culture.

Hispanic Heritage Month deserves to be acknowledged. We go through the hate and must work harder than everyone else just for people to treat Hispanic Heritage Month like any other month.

School systems around the country rarely do anything to show what Latinos go through and the hate we go through on a day-to-day basis.

At John Carroll, there are 19 students who are Hispanic out of the 729 who are enrolled. That is less than three percent of the overall school population.

At the beginning of the month, John Carroll did announce that it was Hispanic Heritage Month, and Mrs. DeMennato organized a third floor bulletin board.

I’m afraid that even with these efforts, students did not know it was Hispanic Heritage Month. I would love to see more done.

Latinos haven’t been able to talk about the struggles we go through. We don’t get to celebrate our culture and discuss the suffering our families had to go through to be able to get to America and how our families had to start from nothing to get to something.

We need to show how our families got to America. Another way to fix the problem is for it to be recognized just for people to understand that it’s Hispanic Heritage Month and know why it’s important.

Being at John Carroll, I would appreciate it if our month was more acknowledged for the fact that we have to work hard to stand out and, we didn’t get here in an easy way. We could put quotes from many Hispanics in the morning announcements; we could do a different one each day or even do one each week.

Many need to understand that Hispanics have never had it easy.