Saying farewell to first semester

Mid-year memories pass as semester ends

Meghan Kerr, Perspectives Editor

A little over five months ago, the John Carroll community stepped foot in the building for the first day of the 2022-2023 year.

It feels like just yesterday when all students roamed the hallways with schedules in hand, trying to find their new classrooms. Now we are saying “Goodbye” to the first half of the school year and “Hello” to the new semester.

Every class has fond memories to look back on from the last semester along with many activities to look forward to during the final months of school.

Freshmen started off the semester with their orientation. They had the opportunity to meet new people, connect with JC faculty, and learn about JC’s mission.

Freshmen also were able to participate in well-loved JC traditions and learn more about JC student life. Some of the traditions included Door Decorating, Spirit Week, and Homecoming.

They also went to the Basilica in the fall and learned more about Archbishop John Carroll.
The sophomore class was able to participate in these same traditions for the second year with the excitement of new activities occurring during the second semester, like the Sophomore Pinning Ceremony.

In past years, the sophomore class did not have a milestone event like other classes did. The freshman milestone relates to their overall journey through the new aspects of high school.

Juniors receive their class rings, and seniors begin a new chapter in their life as they graduate.

The Sophomore Pinning ceremony that recently took place gave the sophomores the opportunity to have a commemorative milestone like all the other classes. At the ceremony, students received a JC pin which they may put on their uniform shirts or skirts to commemorate being half-way through high school.

For most of the year, there is only one thing on the mind of a junior: Ring. Semester One consisted of the necessary steps which occur prior to Ring, such as ring sizing, submitting ring forms, and selecting the student’s preferred type of metal.

However, Semester Two brings along the anticipation of the actual receiving of the iconic JC ring. Juniors can look forward to shopping for dresses for the Ring Dance, and the upcoming Mass/ceremony where they receive this staple piece of JC.

The senior class has had one of their busiest years yet. Many seniors spent a majority of Semester One applying to colleges and scholarships.

Seniors also participated in class connection activities such as Senior Unity Day and Senior Retreat. Some seniors went on retreat during the first semester, and others went last week.

Other seniors have this to look forward to next month. In the upcoming months, seniors also have two of the most anticipated events coming up: prom and graduation. Seniors are full of excitement as they prepare to attend these memorable events by purchasing their prom dresses and caps and gowns.

However, seniors also have stressful events in the latter half of the school year as they begin to hear back from their top schools and finalize their Senior Projects.

All four classes share the memory of Christmas at JC. A month before the semester closed, members of advisories joined together to decorate their doors and hallway areas. Students wore holiday sweaters and enjoyed their advisory parties. Many members of the school community participated in the first Festival of Lights at JC. Of course, no one can forget the fall production of Elf, the Musical.

Semester One has presented JC students with a plethora of memorable moments; here’s to double the memories in Semester Two.