• Christmas break will start on Dec. 18 and end on Jan. 1

• Midterms begin on Wednesday, Dec. 13 to Friday, Dec. 15

Drumline returns after seven years

After+seven+years%2C+the+return+of+a+drumline+makes+its+debut+practice+on+Oct.+26+at+7+a.m.+With+the+help+of+chemistry+teacher+Cammie+Jennings%2C+Music+Director+Marc+Bolden%2C+and+junior+Emma+Gromacki%2C+the+drumline+has+garnered+new+interest.+Practices+will+be+held+every+Monday+and+Thursday+in+the+band+room+at+7+a.m.+
After seven years, the return of a drumline makes its debut practice on Oct. 26 at 7 a.m. With the help of chemistry teacher Cammie Jennings, Music Director Marc Bolden, and junior Emma Gromacki, the drumline has garnered new interest. Practices will be held every Monday and Thursday in the band room at 7 a.m.

Erin McCloskey

Erin McCloskey

Chemistry teacher Cammie Jennings successfully completed three undefeated seasons as a pit member of the drumline at Lee’s Summit North High School located in Missouri. Jennings recently decided that reviving the drumline here at JC, which stopped in 2007-08, would spark students’ interests just like it did for her.

“I want [the students] to be interested and enjoy what they’re doing, and I want them to like it so much that they actually keep doing it,” Jennings said.

The possibility of the drumline team gained support. Music Director Marc Bolden and junior Emma Gromacki had similar goals and supported Jennings’s idea. Gromacki’s interest was initially sparked when her drum instructor told her about the Legendary Percussionists, a group of five men who participated in a drumline team.

“One day I walked into the band room and was talking to Mr. Bolden. I asked him if he needed any extra help with the band because the band in and of itself is such a huge responsibility. We talked about drumline, and now, it’s happening,” Jennings said.

Drumline is a competitive sport where teams can compete and get sponsors. However, the team requires 35 to 40 members to participate. “We have about 20 people interested, which is awesome, and several of those people don’t even play percussion so they will have to learn,” Jennings said. According to Jennings, they will start with simple routines and work their way up to competitions.

Senior drum major Megan Piercy is excited to join the drumline and thinks that it will provide opportunities to expand her musical interests. “It’s going to be a great experience being surrounded by people who want to learn and challenge themselves the same way I do,” Piercy said.
According to Gromacki, the drumline will participate in cadences, which are musical pieces performed by the drums and cymbals, in addition to performing full-length songs. “Music is specifically designed for this. I don’t know if we’re having someone write it for us or if there is music already out there,” Gromacki said.

Other potential members are also excited for the new opportunity. “I think it is a great opportunity for people who may not have experience playing drums because [the band] welcomes all,” sophomore bassline captain Reece Falter said.

According to Jennings, anyone who is interested is welcome to join. The first practice took place on Oct. 26 and only consisted of a small group of people. All practices will be held every Monday and Thursday at 7 a.m. in the band room.

Caroline Cooney is an In-Focus Editor for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.