Top Five Summer Camps to Become a Camp Counselor

Spend some of the summer working with kids and gaining service hours at summer camps

Allison Coyne, Photography & Art Editor

Harford County 4-H Camp
Located just south of Rock State Park, 4-H camp is perfect for those who want to take some time away from the real world. Teens will have the opportunity to lead a group of eight to ten kids with other counselors for a week of overnight camp. The days are filled with singing, crafts, water Olympics, and campfires. Campers’ ages vary with preschoolers, elementary schoolers, and middle schoolers each week. 35 hours of training must be completed, but counselors can earn up to 250 hours of community service.

Beachmont Christian Camp
Any high school student can volunteer as a junior counselor at Beachmont’s day camp. In Kingsville, campers between the ages of four to thirteen get the chance to explore nature and grow in their faith. Activities include hiking, a low ropes course, archery, and swimming. A focus is placed on learning about the Gospel through God’s creations. Counselors can sign up for 11-day sessions that allow for about 90 hours of community service per session.

Indian Lake Christian Camp
Students have the opportunity to be a counselor in training at this camp along the banks of the Susquehanna River in Darlington. Indian Lake is available as a day camp or sleepaway camp for both campers and counselors. There are three-day and six-day sessions available, allowing for a wide range of commitment and service. Counselors will be leaders to children in grades first through eighth grade and help with zip lining, swimming, gaga ball, and group worship.

Camp Sp’Arc
Led by The Arc Northern Chesapeake Region, Camp Sp’Arc is a great way to help and serve others with special needs. Volunteers, or student buddies, are paired up with campers between the ages of six to twenty-one for day camp. Each session is a week long, and throughout the week, field trips are taken to many interesting locations in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C. The trips and activities are based on a theme chosen for each week. Service hours can vary, but they do count as direct service.

Bel Air Athletic Club Camp
Younger teens between the ages of 13 and 15 can be a counselor-in-training at the summer camp hosted by the Bel Air Athletic Club. Campers in kindergarten through seventh grade spend five days enjoying the amenities at the club. Each day is from 8:30 to 3:30, so counselors would earn about 40 hours of community service per session. Swimming, exploring the tree house, playing sports, and going on off-site field trips are just some of the activities counselors aid with.