February 14 traditions important for holiday

Kira Jenkins, Contributing Writer

A lot of people think that in order to celebrate Valentine’s Day, you must have a significant other. However, this isn’t entirely correct. Many Patriots carry their own traditions for this holiday.

English Teacher Christine Zurkowski said that when she and her husband were newly married, they didn’t have enough money to go to a nice dinner. Instead, they would cook their own meal and exchange albums with each other. Her husband also gives her roses every Valentine’s Day.

Math Teacher Theresa Pleiss said that her family does not do anything special for Valentine’s Day, but she does like candy. Additionally, she likes seeing her kids be able to hand out candy to their classmates at school.

Freshman Olivia Guenther explained that she enjoys going to her grandparents’ house and playing board games with them for hours. This is because her grandfather’s birthday falls on February 14.

Sophomore Ella Parks said that she likes to hang out with her friends on Valentine’s Day. They usually get together for lunch and enjoy each other’s company.

You don’t always need to have a Valentine to spend time with the ones you love. You can spend it with parents, friends, siblings, and cousins. It can be anyone you love. It doesn’t have to be anything special, either.

It could be a nice dinner like Mrs. Zurkowski and her husband do; it could be playing games with your family as Olivia does, or it could even be just calling relatives or friends and telling them how much you love them.

Just one little act to show someone that you that you love them will be greatly appreciated and will be a nice Valentine celebration.