‘The Social Network’ provides a look into Mark Zuckerberg & the early life of Facebook

Maddie Root, Managing Editor

The movie ‘The Social Network’ is based on the real-life story of Mark Zuckerberg and his rise to billionaire status.

Mark Zuckerberg, played by Jessie Eisenberg, is a sophomore at Harvard University. In response to getting dumped by his girlfriend, he develops a website that gains a massive following at Harvard.
After years of hard work, the site both reaches a following around campus and around the entire world. This site is known today as Facebook.
Mark’s close friend and fellow Harvard student Eduardo Saverin, played by Andrew Garfield, helps him develop this website and follows him on his journey as a co-founder and CFO.
Due to his hope that Facebook will become bigger than it already is, Mark drops out of school and pursues his dream after his sophomore year. However, Eduardo seems to be on the outside of Mark’s tiny inner circle.
As time goes on, Mark’s and Eduardo’s relationship crumbles. They constantly fight about problems with the company.
Mark gets dragged into serious legal trouble as secrets come out about his toying with Eduardo’s shares in Facebook.
The cast of this movie is what makes it come to life. The acting is impeccable. Eisenberg captures a young, awkward, and naive Mark Zuckerberg. Garfield plays a sidekick to Mark until he slowly comes out of his shell and finally stands up to him. The cast also includes other big names like Rashida Jones, Justin Timberlake, and Rooney Mara.
The movie has a wonderful soundtrack. It was produced by two very well-known musicians in the movie industry, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. It has a techno vibe to it, which suits the film very nicely.
This film is quite unique as it bounces back and forth in the present and past. The past tells the story of the founding and early days of Facebook while the present follows Mark with his intense legal troubles.
Most people have or know of Facebook, but they do not know its story. Director David Fincher does a wonderful job of conveying both Mark’s and Eduardo’s sides of the story. You will not know who to root for in the end.
The picture has received lots of critical acclaim since its 2010 release. It has won three Oscars and four Golden Globes. Additionally, it has an astonishing score of 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.
The Social Network is available to watch on Netflix and Hulu, and to rent or buy OnDemand. If you are not into movies, not a problem. Try reading the book that the movie was based on, Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich.