Patriots prepare for March production of ‘Footloose’

Faith Menefee, Staff Writer

This spring, John Carroll will be performing Footloose, a musical about Ren McCormack, a teenage boy who moves to a small town and wants to change the ban on dancing and rock music put in place by the local minister.

Show Director Larry Hensley commented, “Footloose is a well-loved classic movie musical that audiences will enjoy watching and listening to all the popular songs and characters from the show.”

Reagan McComas, who filled the role of Buddy the Elf in the fall production of Elf: The Musical, will be playing Ren while Chloe Davies will be portraying Ariel.

Reagan commented, “The best thing about Ren is his incredible outlook in life. He isn’t afraid to change people’s opinions, and he isn’t afraid to go for what he is after. It also doesn’t hurt that he dances a bunch. He gains support and love from the people around him by solely being himself which I think rings true to who I am. Ren takes a bit of who I am, and I can understand his story and make it my own in a way.”

Additionally, Henry Coyner has won the role of Reverend Moore, the strict spiritual leader of the community who is also Ariel’s father. Gracious Ndungu has the role of Rusty, Ariel’s friend.
Gracious said, “This show is bittersweet because it’s my last at John Carroll. I’m grateful for all of the times I have performed here, and I will be leaving with lasting memories.”

Chorus Teacher Julie Parrish is returning as the Musical Director while Mr. Hensley will be directing.

Mrs. Parrish said that they chose Footloose for the musical because “it would give a chance to showcase the talent of the students that we have currently, and it also allows for a large cast.”
She explained that they wanted a show that would be fun to watch and fun for the cast to perform in as well.

Right now students are in rehearsals for the March production. Mr. Hensley commented, “Our biggest challenge currently is trying to rehearse the show with many [scheduling] conflicts from actors.”

Mr. Hensley added that they have several cast members new to doing productions at JC, and “it is rewarding to watch them through the process.”

The cast is made up of 41 students although the total number of those involved including the pit orchestra and crew is 61.

For several of the seniors, this is their final John Carroll production. Mr. Hensley’s advice for them is to “enjoy being in the moment and appreciate all the final stages of putting on a professional high school production with peers and artistic staff. Create wonderful memories to last a lifetime.”

Reagan said, “With this being my last JC musical, it is a bittersweet moment. I am so incredibly excited for what is to come in life, but looking back, I am incredibly grateful for all the opportunities and performances I have gotten to participate in. Leaving the underclassmen will be one of the hardest things, as we’ve created such a close bond over the years. Life moves on, but it’s our duty to hold on to the memories that last a lifetime.”

There will be four shows taking place from March 24 to March 26.The show itself will be about two and half hours long.

Sophomore Dominic Barbato, who plays Lyle, said, “For this show, I am excited to perform in a comfortable environment with my peers and to dance my heart out.”