New safety and security procedures added for JC

Mackenzie Snyder, Entertainment Editor

1999. Columbine High School. 2012. Sandy Hook Elementary. 2018. Marjorie Stoneham Douglas. In the last 20 years, school shootings have only increased. As the times change, it only seems logical that policies must change with them.    A few changes are being made at John Carroll.

“These aren’t new procedures, but they are new to John Carroll,” Director of Facilities Mr. Joe McGrain said.

The procedures being implemented at JC are being used by all Harford County Public Schools. The standard ‘Run, Hide, Fight’ routines will be reviewed with students in grade level meetings beginning in January.

Every teacher will be given a critical incident bag to replace the red folders that were used during emergency drills. The bags will hold class rosters, emergency contacts, first aid supplies, and a map for teachers and students to follow to a designated reunification point at Saint Matthew’s Church.

A safety and security committee has also been created. This committee will meet every two weeks to discuss ideas and plans that could be used in case of an emergency.

Teachers have been instructed to be more mindful about keeping classroom doors locked throughout the day.

Another issue that will be addressed is the way that modified lockdown drills are announced and carried out.

Why are these changes being made right now instead of over the summer so they could have been implemented at the beginning of the school year?

“We saw that Harford County Public Schools was making changes, so we wanted to wait and see the changes they made and if we could implement them here,” said Mr. McGrain.

“Students will be better informed and protected during their time here at JC,” said Mr. McGrain. “We are trying to help create a safer community for students, faculty, and families, and we really think that these changes will do so.”

“The most important thing to remember is to be patient and understand why we are doing this.” School Security Officer Sargent Clarence Nichols said. “This isn’t about anything other than the safety of the school, and it is necessary to do this.”