JC celebrates Black History Month with special presentations

Advisory groups meet to view Women of Freedom of Maryland

Aeowynn Ayres, Assistant Entertainment Editor

It is February, which means it is Black History Month. John Carroll has been giving students numerous opportunities for education regarding important African American figures and events.

Last year, a small group of students watched Ms. Janice Greene show her Woman of Freedom presentation. When asked to use the program again this year, Ms. Greene recommended to show students her Women of Freedom of Maryland presentation.
Assistant Principal Danica Attanasio said, “We felt it was a great program to share information about three important women from Maryland and their contributions to our state and country.”
Students viewed these presentations in three different Advisory sessions throughout the month.
Prior to school closing for COVID-19, the John Carroll administration had been working on new ways to celebrate Black History Month. Mrs. Attanasio said that John Carroll’s ideas were positively influenced by the racial justice protests that took place over the summer.
She commented, “Like all schools and organizations, we were also influenced by the tragic killing of George Floyd and the racial justice protests last summer.”
This year, members of the Black Student Union have greatly contributed to the planning of Black History Month events and education at JC.
Members of the organization have made a list of resources for students and teachers to utilize throughout this month. They have compiled a list of important black figures who have been introduced before the morning prayer every day this month.
Mrs. Attanasio said, “We especially appreciate the input we’ve received from the members of the Black Student Union on this year’s activities.”
February is a great time to get more educated on important African American figures and contributions.
Mrs. Attanasio commented, “Black history is American history. . . The goal is for students to learn about the past and its connection to the present.”
In regard to the importance of Black History Month, sophomore Cici Yankuba said, “Black History Month is important because African Americans played a very important role in the upbringing of this country. It is so important to recognize that because they have been looked down upon, invalidated, and oppressed for so long.”