National Honor Society welcomes new members

Group inducts over 70 juniors and seniors into JC chapter

Allison Coyne, Managing Editor

Each year, the National Honor Society holds an induction ceremony to formally welcome new members.

Over the summer, 82 students applied to join the National Honor Society. Approximately 75 students were accepted in September. 11 seniors and 64 juniors were formally inducted on Thursday, October 6.

To join the National Honor Society, each student must have a 4.2 or higher GPA, 40 service hours, and a clean disciplinary record. The student must also be a strong role model. Once inducted, members act as tutors, serve as tour guides for events, and change the marquee sign.

NHS Moderator Hope Hemphill said, “Being selected as a member of the National Honor Society is a national recognition of a student’s strong academic performance. It is a well-known organization and helps to boost students’ college applications.”

The induction ceremony began with an introduction by NHS President Grace Welzenbach. A short speech was then given for each of the four pillars of the National Honor Society before a candle was lit for each.

NHS Vice President Meghan Kerr spoke about scholarship and character. These pillars represent strong academic standing and being a helpful and kind individual. Secretary/Treasurer Annabel Everett gave her speech about the service pillar, which represents giving back to the community.

NHS Member Caden Daubach spoke about leadership, which encompasses dignity and responsibility.

The new members recited the National Honor Society Pledge before being called to sign their names and receive their certificates and pins. Closing remarks were led by Assistant Principal Danica Attanasio. The new members and their families were welcomed into the café for refreshments.

Junior Maggie Moloney said, “I applied for NHS because I wanted to join a group of like-minded people who wanted to further their education, gain valuable knowledge for their future, and give back to their community.”