Pink Out Night brings breast cancer awareness

Aeowynn Ayres, Entertainment Editor

Themes for football games seem to change every season, but one theme that is recurring is the John Carroll Pink Out to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness. On Friday, October 7, JC hosted their Pink Out night.

This year’s “Pink Out Night” was held as one of the Friday Fall Fun Nights.

Along with the regular festivities, Breast Cancer Awareness bracelets were handed out by members of the Student Government Association, and there was a survivor parade at halftime.

There were two clubs who were involved in being part of the event: the Women’s Empowerment Club and the Future Healthcare Workers of America Club.

These clubs were chosen to have tables at the event because of their clubs’ missions.
Sophomore Natalie Gotzmann, Future Healthcare Workers of America Club organizer, summarized her club’s mission as “being involved in healthcare and learning more about it.

Being part of events that help people in need, creating more awareness about something like breast cancer, and wanting to teach others about our knowledge is important.”

The table provided information about breast cancer in hopes to better educate the JC community about it.

Natalie also commented on the importance of Breast Cancer Awareness. “Breast Cancer Awareness is important because it brings information to those who may not know the full facts about the topic, and it allows us to fight for those who do not have the strength to do it alone.”

Senior Sydney Miller walked in the survivor parade at halftime with her mother. “Walking with my mom during the survivor parade was such a heartwarming moment for me,” she explained.

Sydney added, “Hearing the entire stadium of people cheering and clapping for the survivors brought tears to my eyes, knowing that my mom and my family were not alone in our struggles as evidenced by fellow survivors, and it felt comforting to know that. It also made me happy because although my mom struggled with cancer for so long, the battle is almost over. I felt comfort knowing that we had the complete support of the JC community behind us.”

In regard to why breast cancer is relevant to the JC community, Natalie said, “When someone is battling breast cancer, it is much easier to fight when you have a group in your corner. For the JC community, having everyone aware of the facts, data, and information on breast cancer, there will be so many more Patriots who are able to fight in one’s corner with them and give them the strength that they do not have alone.”

The turnout for the game was great, and most of the guests were in the theme pink color.
Sydney said that she would have liked have heard more about the survivors’ lives. “These survivors are more than the disease they have been forced to live with. I think this brief introduction would help humanize the survivors as more than just cancer because there is always more to a person than the cancer they have endured.”