Preparations underway for Remembrance Day

Seniors will attend Holocaust remembrance activities on Wednesday, March 1

Grace Griffin, Copy Editor

On Holocaust Remembrance Day (HRD), the John Carroll community commemorates those whose lives were forever changed by the horrific acts of the Nazi Regime.

Event Coordinator Louise Géczy has been planning the commemoration throughout her 21 years at JC and explained some of the steps she takes to organize a memorable and worthwhile experience for the senior class.

“I begin planning for HRD in August/September of each school year. If we are having a keynote speaker, I secure that person first. During the following months, I get the date on the school calendar, create the agenda for the day, secure any materials needed, arrange for necessary tech, and secure testimony speakers,” said Mrs. Géczy.

As the years go on, it becomes increasingly more difficult for survivors to come and share their stories, but Mrs. Géczy is thrilled that a combination of twelve survivors and children of survivors have agreed to come and share their testimonies.

Mrs. Géczy said that some of the testimony will include stories of a hidden child, a child resistance fighter, the niece of the woman who was forced to be housekeeper for a Nazi commander of a camp featured in movie Schindler’s List, and a woman who as a child was on the last transport out of Czechoslovakia.

Since the Class of 2023 will most likely be one of the last classes to experience multiple firsthand Holocaust testimonies, Mrs. Géczy shared what she hopes students will take away from the day. “It is always my hope that seniors will walk away from HRD with more insight into the Holocaust and concept of genocide and, hopefully, a desire to act in positive ways against negative behaviors, human atrocities, and genocide.”

Mrs. Géczy added that with the information and stories that the Class of 2023 will hear on Holocaust Remembrance Day, “seniors will have an opportunity to put a face to the overwhelming concept of millions of Jewish people and others who were systematically murdered during the Holocaust and hear the stories of two men who fought as American soldiers against the Nazi plan to exterminate Jews.”

This firsthand experience will help seniors connect to the copious amounts of information and exhibits they will see on their class trip to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
Holocaust Remembrance Day will take place on March 1 while the senior trip to the Holocaust Memorial Museum will occur during the following week on March 8.