Security Officers ensure safety around the construction site in science wing

Madison Elliott, News Editor

With construction continuing in John Carroll’s science wing, a few additions have been put in place to keep this area safe. On December 12, the week before Winter Break, security officers were posted in the hallway directly in front of the site.

The main reason and cause for this addition was due to students frequently cutting behind the plastic curtains meant to block off this portion of the hallway. Instead, students are required to walk up to the third floor, avoiding the site and coming down the “C” stairwell if needed to reach any of the four classrooms behind the renovation site.

Dean of Students Christina Presberry said that the posting of security officers was for “safety purposes all around.”

During the day, the officers are posted at the site from 7 am-3 pm during JC’s normal school hours. Besides this, security officers are not required to be there because there are no classes taking place.

Only occasionally will the construction be continued later into the evening or overnight, but this once again does not require any security officers to be posted.

Currently, JC is working with the construction company to get somebody from their separate staff to be posted at the construction sites. Officer Jones, the weekend security guard, and Officer Erline, who can be seen working security evening shifts, have been frequently posted at the science wing location. Sergeant Nichols has also assisted at the post to relieve his colleagues.

Overall, the goal is to “make sure our community, as they walk around our construction site, is safe,” Ms. Presberry said.

The intended plan is for “completion of construction in March, then reevaluate.” Of course, with construction this may change or differ between now and then.