• Open House will be held on Saturday, Oct. 28.

• The Theatre Program will perform "Grease: School Version" on Nov. 3, 4, and 5

Senior pitcher commits to Towson

Senior outfielder and pitcher Nick Collier awaits a pitch during the Josh Hamer Memorial Game at Ripken Stadium last spring. On Sept. 1, Collier committed to pitch for Towson University.

Caroline Cooney

Caroline Cooney

Freshman Nick Collier walks out to the mound as the starting pitcher for JC in their first home playoff game in four years. Feeling confident and eager to pitch, Collier toes the rubber and helps deliver a 3-2 win for the Patriots.

Three years later, Collier, a varsity veteran, is set to play Division I baseball. On Sept. 1, he verbally committed to pitch for Towson University.

Playing college baseball at a high level has been Collier’s lifelong dream. “I’ve always wanted to be a Division I baseball player ever since I was a young kid,” Collier said.

In addition to being a key pitcher, Collier has been an important hitter for the Patriots. Last season, he had the highest batting average and collected the most hits on the team. When not on the mound, Collier plays right field.

In June, Matt Tyner took over as Towson’s head baseball coach, and Towson began recruiting Collier in July. “I liked their new coaching staff, [being] close to home, the campus, and the atmosphere,” Collier said. Towson competes in the Colonial Athletic Association, against schools in the Mid-Atlantic region such as James Madison, Elon, and Delaware.

Varsity baseball coach Darrion Siler is proud of Collier’s accomplishment. “I know how much he wanted it and deserved it,” Siler said.

He attributes Collier’s success to his work ethic. “He is a really hard worker. He visualizes something and then executes it. His commitment is going to drive him even more,” Siler said.

Junior pitcher Ben Pika also believes Collier’s work ethic played a big role in the process of his commitment. “He worked really hard this summer, which gave him the opportunity to play at Towson,” he said. Both Pika and Siler describe Collier as a competitor who steps up to any challenge.

Collier has goals for both himself and his team to accomplish this spring. Collier says the team goal is to win the MIAA A Conference championship. His personal goal is to become a better all-around player, as well as help his teammates improve.

Siler has confidence in the team this year. “I have absolute faith that they can go as far as they choose to. With their talent level, and with their drive, I think they’ll go all the way,” Siler said.

Chris Roberts and James Ghimire are Sports Editors for The Patriot and jcpatriot.com.