Roarty hits the putting green for the first time

Ella McGuire, Staff Writer

Ginger Roarty is trying a new sport and is turning to golf.

For freshman Ginger Roarty, trying something new has always been something she does. When the opportunity to play golf came up, she took it immediately.
This is her very first year playing the sport… “two weeks to be exact!” Ginger is very excited about trying out this new challenge. Besides playing golf, she also plays on John Carroll’s field hockey team, and she is on the swim team.
Ginger said that it was her dad and grandfather who convinced her golf was the way to go. “My dad and my grandpa both played golf. They convinced me to play for JC.”
Ginger had some encouragement from her friends, as well. “Some of my friends were doing it, so I thought it would be fun to do it with [them].”
In playing golf, Ginger is faced with many challenges. She said that her biggest challenge is that “you are always learning, and not every swing is going to be perfect. So, when I miss or mess up, I sometimes get frustrated, but that just motivates me to try harder.”
Ginger is also faced with many challenges since this is her first year, and she is just getting used to the game. However, these obstacles don’t stop her. “When I am faced with challenges, I don’t give up and I keep practicing.”
While juggling schoolwork and sports, Ginger still finds some spare time. “I spend my time playing outside with my younger sisters, Sarajane and Winnie, specifically playing lacrosse with them. I’m very close with my family, so I like spending time with them. Besides playing golf, I like to practice and play field hockey. I also love cooking and making new things,” she said.
In playing golf, Ginger wants to “ learn something new.” She also wants to “learn skills that I can use for the rest of my life.”
Ginger provided some advice and said, “Athletes, never give up on yourselves. You may face challenges, but that just makes you stronger. Do things that you enjoy doing with a passion. Always put yourself out there, and don’t be afraid to try new things… just like I did with golf!”