Modeste and Cowsette join JC’s football coaching staff

Meghan Kerr, Perspectives Editor

The fall season at JC comes with a variety of student-loved sports and activities. One of these classic aspects is the JC football games. This year the team is getting revamped.

JC introduced many new staff members this year, including Dean of Students Mark Modeste and College Counselor Delbert Cowsette.

Along with these positions, Mr. Modeste and Mr. Cowsette have taken on the task of coaching the JC football team.

Both of the new faculty members have a long resume of coaching experience and experience within the sport of football.

Mr. Cowsette has coached for collegiate level football for 14 years. He revealed that he “was a position coach and coach of defensive line at Howard University.”

Some of his other coaching experiences include working as a D1 collegiate coach at the University of Maryland and the University of Albany, and coaching at the Air Force Academy.
Mr. Cowsette has also had six years of experience playing professional football in the NFL.

He shared that he played for the Washington Redskins and was a third round draft. Mr. Cowsette revealed that he also played for the Bears, Bucks, and the Colts and the Giants.”
Similar to Mr. Cowsette, Mr. Modeste also has a variety of experience coaching.

According to Mr. Modeste, some of the schools he has coached at include “Sacred Heart Prep in Atherton, California, and Strake Jesuit. I was the head coach…and I was the head coach at Archbishop Riordan in San Francisco.”

In relation to his personal experience playing the game, Mr. Modeste revealed that he played football in high school and college football at Santa Clara University in California.

Both Mr. Modeste and Mr. Cowsette have positive feelings toward the opportunity of being able to coach JC’s football team.

In relation to his feelings toward coaching the team, Mr. Cowsette said he is “super excited. I’m excited on how our guys are developing. I love our guys. I think they’re a great group of kids.”

Mr. Modeste has similar feelings of excitement geared towards his opportunity to be JC football’s head coach. He said “I feel great. I mean I’m very excited.”

Both coaches have many goals for the JC team this year, specifically focusing on making connections as a team and developing new mindsets to elicit a positive environment.

Mr. Cowsette shared that he hopes to impact the team and “teach them how to play together, play as a team, trust one another, and just earn the respect that they deserve as human beings”

Mr. Modeste shared that his goal “is always to get a little bit better everyday and to establish a culture that is positive and looking towards future results and not focusing on past results.”

Both coaches also have intentions to teach the football team lessons to help them grow in their everyday lives.

Mr. Cowsette shared that he wants to teach the football team “winning habits, not just playing on the field but how they live their day-to-day. I think those habits transcend to success on and off the field.”

Similarly, Mr. Modeste wants to teach the football team that “there’s no shortcuts; you know it’s like anything else in life. It’s about hard work and practice.”

Both coaches feel that their experience coaching at JC will be positive both for the team and for them as individuals.

Mr. Modeste shared, “[Football] always been such a big part of my life, and I know what it can do for a young man, and I want to be able to give that back to those who are interested.”

Mr Cowsette shared that he hopes the experience allows him to grow as a coach, “I feel like I couldn’t have picked a better place, and they’re going to make me a better coach because of it,” he said.