John Carroll introduces weightlifting club

Brooke Carroll, Staff Writer

Ms. Lisa Schultz has introduced a new club. As the moderator of the Weightlifting Club, she looks forward to encouraging students on their fitness journey.

After playing sports through college, she transitioned to weightlifting as a way to stay fit and has been lifting for 16 years. During that time, she has gotten stronger both physically and mentally.

She wanted to moderate this club to encourage all students, both guys, and girls, to experience this mind-body strength and a sense of community. The club meets for an hour two days a week to learn the basics, improve power, and have fun.

It does not matter if students are just beginning or have been working out for a while; a fitness center is a place for everyone.

Junior Evan Haney is one of the students who has joined the club. He said that his main motivation for weightlifting is “improving my life and building an aesthetic physique; other than that, it’s discipline.”

Evan said that weightlifting helps relieve stress and promote mental clarity. He decided to continue weightlifting and exceeds his limits every workout. Through progressive overload, he is constantly pushing more each time he lifts. He plans to continue to lift for as long as he is physically able to.

Junior Dominic Trombetta started weightlifting to get better at boxing because he thought his arms were too small. He has been lifting for 23 months, has gained around 20 pounds, and has added weight to his lifts.

Dominic said that lifting for him “helps both with mental and physical health; physically because it helps me get to a healthy weight with a good amount of muscle mass, and it helps mentally because it gives me a time and place to work on myself.” This gives him the ability to take control of his body and mental health. His motivation is his drive to have a better physic, and the people around him are trying to do the same. As a result, he tries his best to help as many people as possible, and weightlifting has helped him make many friends.

English Teacher Chris Kosmides said, “The weightlifting club is a great way to spend time with students in a unique environment, so students excel at something personal to them.”

Overall anyone and everyone has the freedom to join the club at any point in time.
The club meets on Mondays and Wednesdays from 3:00-4:00.