New trip is introduced to the junior curriculum

Class of ‘23 travels to DC to MLK Memorial and African American History Museum

Annabel Everett, Staff Writer

The juniors of John Carroll got the opportunity to go to the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial and the Smithsonian Institute’s National Museum for African American History and Culture. The trip took place on May 23 in Washington D.C. from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm.

The trip was free, and a light breakfast was offered to juniors at John Carroll before boarding buses. Students got to walk through the museum. They had an assignment for their Social Studies and English classes to complete as well.
The school plans to continue to implement this trip into the overall John Carroll student experience, and it will become a graduation requirement for future classes.
Assistant Principal Jake Hollin explained that the idea for the trip has existed for about a year, but it was only recently that the museum was opened to large groups.
Mr. Hollin said, “The trip is meant to supplement material being covered through both our English and Social Studies curriculum and give students the opportunity to see both historical facts and in-depth presentations through the lens of a quintessential American experience.”
Additionally, a function of the trip is to help aid students in their understanding of human rights, dignity, justice, and morals.
Mr. Hollin explained that the motivation for the trip was fulfillment of the Mission Statement of John Carroll.
He explained, “The work we do on expanding our understanding of topics such as diversity, equity, and inclusion allows us to promote a stronger and healthier community for all.”
Mr. Hollin thinks that this trip will have a huge impact on the juniors and future classes. He added that the trip was designed similarly to the senior class Holocaust program “allowing students the opportunity to take learning beyond the classroom and to be both challenged and inspired through the lives and stories of others.”
This trip was planned by administrators and teachers throughout this year and last year. However, the long planning period seems to have paid off because there has been overwhelming support for the trip from students, teachers, and staff.
Junior Reagan McComas said, “The museum opened my eyes to many different perspectives about the African American experience.”
Junior Giada Scotto Di Carlo, commented, “I think that the field trip was interesting, especially since we got to explore the museum on our own time and gravitate towards the sections that interested us the most. We didn’t just learn about African American history in the past, but we also learned how it influenced today’s culture. Overall, it was a good experience with a good view of Washington, D.C.”
Next year the Class of 2023 will return to Washington, D.C. for the senior trip to the Holocaust Museum.